Saturday, November 22, 2008

quirks are quirky.

Thanks to Ceri for tagging me. Although I am sure there are lots of things about me that are a little strange, it was hard to think of six things to write about!

Six quirks of mine...

1. I am obsessive about spelling. I nearly always notice if something is spelled wrong, and I correct people when they spell things wrong. Don't worry, I'm not judging you; I just notice and when I notice I have to point it out. I do, however, judge organizations that publish materials with poor spelling and grammar. It's not that hard to hire an editor or someone who can spell. Misspelling words or using blatantly incorrect grammar significantly reduces an organization's credibility, in my opinion.

2. I am very interested in the weather. I always remember hearing when I was growing up that the weather is a boring conversation topic, but it isn't boring to me. I actually do care if it's sunny or snowing or whatever, and if you want to talk about it, you can count on me to be interested.

3. I hate handwashing dishes. I would rather clean a toilet than handwash dishes. We have not had a dishwasher since we've been married, and it is for sure a requirement for whatever place we live next, because Peter usually doesn't have time to wash them, so I have to. :-(

4. I am really bad at multi-tasking, especially if it involves words coming from more than one source. I can't listen and talk, listen and read, listen and write, talk and write, etc. I get too distracted and lose track of whatever one I wanted to give more of my attention to.

5. A favorite food of mine (and my family's) is toast with butter and chocolate sprinkles. This is a Dutch tradition, the sprinkles are called hagelslag. Dutch chocolate sprinkles are actually made out of chocolate, not wax like American ones. If you ever have some high-quality chocolate sprinkles lying around, I recommend that you try it.

6. Apparently I have a distinctive way of walking. Several people have told me this, but obviously I can't watch myself walk. An old roommate of mine once recognized me from across a large plaza because of how I was walking. Maybe someone should secretly video me walking so I can see what is weird about it. For now, I just can't tell.

I tag: Sara, Kirsten, Rachel, and anyone else who wants to tell the world about their little oddities!

4 comments:

Ceri said...

I totally agree with the washing dishes by hand! I hate it. We do have a dishwasher, but one day we thought it was broken and I almost cried because I didn't want to wash all the dishes, I will however wash my moms when I am over there because I do try to be helpful.:) Thanks for writing out your quirks! I actually liked getting tagged because it gives me something to write about:)

Wag-a-Muffin said...

Well, because of my "face blindness" (I read that is the term for what I have) I cannot spell either. I remember my mother being frustrated with me after a bad report card grade. "Just close your eyes and read the letters under the picture that you imagine," she said. "What?" "When you close your eyes and think of a tree, don't you imagine a tree with the word 't.r.e.e' written beneath it?" "No." I answered. I can spell the same word three different times three different ways in one paragraph and not notice it.

gina said...

Good list! I'm terrible with the multi-tasking. Not a good thing as a mom, since it is pretty much the job description. I'm good for awhile each day, but then start feeling like I need to find a quiet closet to hide in! That is where I am right now...ha ha. Me and my flashlight. Just like when I was 12, hiding from my Mom so I could read! Nothing has changed. Now I just hide from my kids and W. I love QUIET so I can THINK, READ, and WRITE which is up there with breathing on my list of life giving necessities.

Kirsten Treff said...

OK, add this to my tags to catch up on soon...
And as for the weather, looks like we can have some great conversations! After coming to CA, I tried to talk about the weather and realized that people here are not interested...because the weather doesn't EVER change! I think growing up somewhere where the weather is actually interesting (Syracuse, for sure), you really do get an interest.
And I am also in total agreeance (sp? :) )about the spelling and grammar issues on menus and other business items...I mean, really, it's not that hard to find someone with these basic skills...I hope!