Sunday, December 28, 2008

Christmas

Our Christmas week has been busy. Peter's siblings have been staying at our house for the past week, and we have one week to go. It has been fun but a little too crowded at times. We got several new games for Christmas (Citadels, Fluxx, In a Pickle, and 5 Crowns), and we have really enjoyed learning how to play them all. Peter got me an electric toothbrush, and I got him a Clearplay DVD player. These DVD players allow you to edit the movies you watch to make them cleaner, so you don't have to hear the swearing or watch the violence or whatever. I think it's great.

The story of the DVD player:

Peter had been talking about how he really wanted this DVD player for a long time. I was intending to get it for him, but I told him his Christmas gift had a price limit that was well under the price of the DVD player because I didn't want him to know he was getting it. The day we went shopping for Christmas gifts, I asked Peter to give me a few options to choose from and to tell me which one he wanted the most. I already knew it would be the DVD player, but, again, I wanted him to be surprised. Once we were at the store, I reminded him that I had put a price limit on his gift. He had a little fit because it turned out that every single thing he wanted cost more than my price limit. So he was grumpy for our whole shopping trip, and I secretly bought the DVD player and then told him I got him a tie. (He wasn't thrilled.) I wrapped one of his old ties so he would think that was the gift I bought him, and put it under the tree. I hid the DVD player in the office and put it under the tree Christmas eve after Peter went to sleep so he would be surprised.

Christmas morning, Peter opened the DVD player and was so surprised. I don't think I've ever been able to surprise him with a gift he really wanted before. It was great!

4 comments:

Jenn said...

Great surprise! I can never surprise Logan either. Good work. It was fun seeing you guys on Christmas.

gina said...

That is a great Christmas story - reminds me of us when we first were married. Hard to find things to get excited about in the price range. I remember having a $40.00 limit for one of Weston's birthdays. So unexciting- and then I won a drawing for free cowboy boots from the old Provo Reams grocery store! That blessing must have been from paying tithing. But times like that. actually made for the best memories - and we've had it both ways. Let me know how you like the clearplay player. I haven't hooked ours up yet. Hopefully, it will be a great thing for us movie lovers.

Sara said...

you tricky woman you! hahaha that's awesome rachel!!

The Nelsons said...

What a fun surprise. It is so nice to see that you guys are doing so well. I can not believe that it has alreday been a year since we last saw you. Keep in touch.