Saturday, December 13, 2008

Funerals.

This has been an eventful week. It was the last week of class, and finals are next week, with all the stress that entails.

In the past week, I attended 2 funerals. One was for Peter's uncle, Kirt, who died at 41 of a heart attack. He left behind several young kids and a wife to whom he had been married for just over a year (they got married the month after we did). During this funeral, I was so sad for Kirt's wife, kids, and parents. His death was totally unexpected and has been really hard for them all.

I also attended the funeral for my dad's cousin Maren. She died at 53 of heart failure. Maren had Down's Syndrome, and her death from heart failure has kind of been expected since she was born. She lived a wonderful life, accomplished a lot, touched many lives, and lived much, much, longer than people with Down's Syndrome usually do, or than she was expected to live. Her funeral was sad, but it was also happy. She had lots of frustration about not being able to accomplish everything she wanted to, and her family was happy that she is now free from her disability.

Both of these funerals were similar in that I was a family member, but didn't know the deceased very well. I wish I had known both of them better, and I look forward to meeting them again and getting to know them better in the next life.

1 comment:

gina said...

Funerals are exhausting, aren't they? Thank goodness you now get a break from school for awhile.