Tuesday, October 7, 2008

A little more information



We are going to Kumasi, the second largest city in Ghana. It's the red city that's in the middle of the south, in case you're having trouble finding it on the lovely map. The average temperature ranges from 75-85 degrees during the months that we'll be there. It is the capital city of the Ashanti people, and their king lives there although he doesn't have power within the Ghanaian government. It's also a good place to get kente and adinkra cloth, so I read.

My boss suggested to me that I should apply for an ORCA (undergraduate research) grant and study Ghanaian museums while I'm there. It so happens that there are several museums in Kumasi, so I actually could do that if I want to. I just have to decide what exactly I would study, and write a grant proposal in the next couple of weeks. Even if I decide not to write the grant proposal, I'll definitely be visiting those museums.

I'm a lot more excited now that I know where we're going, so I can learn all about it.

2 comments:

Kirsten Treff said...

Congratulations - I'm so excited for you guys! What a great adventure to have!

Becca Boo said...

That is so exciting! One day i want to be like you and go to far away places.