Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Larabanga Mosque



This is the mosque at Larabanga. The legend of its creation goes something like this: There was an important Muslim man who was traveling (sometime around the early 1400s, but nobody knows for sure), and he decided to throw his spear and wherever it landed he would build a settlement. His spear landed on the site of this mosque, and its foundations were already built, presumably by Allah who wanted him to stay there. He built the mosque, and when he died they buried him underneath the tree you see in the left of the picture. Every year, the villagers make a special soup with the leaves from the burial tree and everybody has to eat it.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

What an interesting building. I don't think I've ever seen anything like it. I think it would be hard to be hit up for money all the time. I just remember little kids coming up to me in Mexico and it was hard to turn them down, but people who make it a living of trying to get money from people would irritate me. Love the pic of you and Peter, it looks like you are ready to go on safari. I'm not a big fish person either, lucky for you it didn't taste too fishy.

Wag-a-Muffin said...

It looks like a frosted cake. Vanilla frosting and chocolate piping.